If you are like most people, you like helping others and giving back to your community. More than 70% of people across the United States make charitable donations every year. A good deal of these are Red Cross clothes donations. Making used clothing donations is a great way to help others. Here are some reasons you should consider giving your used clothing to charity.
- You help other people directly. When disaster strikes, many people are often left with nothing but the clothes they are wearing when they are told they need to evacuate an area. While monetary donations are often needed the most by large non-profits, when you make Red Cross clothes donations, the items you give can go directly to people who have lost everything. If you also have blankets or bedding that can often be used after big natural disaster like a flood, hurricane or tornadoes strike an area.
- You donations allow the non-profit to pay for its operations. Many non-profit organizations run consignment shops to help fund their operations. Many times, Red Cross clothes donations are used this way. Charities provide a wide array of services that help people in the community who need it. The funds raised by selling the clothes that have been donated help them provide those services and employ people to do the work that needs to be done. Every year, non-profits put more than $660 million back into the American economy. Consignment shops brought in more than $2.5 million in 2015. This money was used to fund local and national programs.
- You get a more organized house. Most people around the United States have closets and storage spaces that are full of stuff they no longer use. If your children have outgrown their clothes and you have no one to hand them down to, you should consider whether you want to make a clothing donation. Organizing experts recommend people go through their clothing every year and check for items that they no longer wear or need. If you have had an outfit that has gone unworn for two seasons or more, it is time to get rid of it.
- You can lower your tax bill. When you donate clothes the Red Cross, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) treats the donation the same way they treat a monetary donation. If your Red Cross clothes donation is worth more than $250, you will need to include a receipt. A used man’s overcoat is generally given a value of $60 or more, to give you an idea of what you can mark the value of the items you donate. It is aways a good idea to keep good records of all of your donations throughout the year so you have all of your paperwork ready when you go to compile and file your taxes.
- You inspire others. We are all influenced by the people around us. Sociologists and others note that when people see others acting in a certain way, they are more likely to act in the same way. Your example will inspire other people to donate as well. In that way, your good deeds get magnified over and over. If you have children, this is a great way to teach them the value of helping others.
- You reduce your carbon footprint. It has been estimated that the typical American throws away about ten pounds of clothing items every year. Those items end up in a landfill where they do nothing to help anyone and they add to the worldwide problem of global warming. The space they take up is also very valuable. You can help others and keep material out of landfills by donating your clothes to charity.
- It is easy! If you cannot get to the charity, they may be able to come to you. Many charities will pick up donations.
When you are donating clothing, you should make sure you clean and wash all of the items before you make your donation. Also, if you sort your items, you will make it a lot easier for the charity’s staff to go through and make the most of your kindness and generosity.
Trackback from your site.