There are a lot of reasons to think about sending your child to a private school. The top private schools in the United States have a better rate of having their graduates into colleges. One place that you can see the difference is in test scores. For public schools, the national average of SAT scores is 1060. When you compare that to the average at private schools, which is 1235, you can see how much better students in the best private schools do on this important exam.
- Students at private schools get more one-on-one help. It is normal to want your child to get all of the one-on-one attention your child needs. When you send your child to a private school, they will be able to get more of that than if they go to a public school. Part of this is because the number of teachers per student is higher in private schools than it is in public schools. In the top private schools, the number of students in class runs between 15 and 20. That is a much smaller class than you are going to find in any public school in the country.
- Parents are more involved in private schools than in public ones. Whether you are talking about private high schools or private elementary schools, the expectation is that parents take an active role in the education of their children. Many of the top private schools talk about a partnership between the school, the student, and the parents. The amount of involvement you can have in your child’s education will depend on a number of factors, it is harder to be involved on a day to day basis if you are looking at boarding schools, but you will be expected to be an active participant in your child’s education. Part of this also helps create a more inclusive community at private schools than often exists at public schools.
- The academics cannot be beat. When you are looking at public schools, many of them are focused on teaching to help students do well on a test. That is not the case at the top private schools. Most of the teachers at private schools have advanced degrees in the subjects they teach and are passionate about it. Because they are excited about the subjects they teach, they can spread that enthusiasm. When students need more help in an area, they can get it. If a student is moving faster than the rest of their class, they can also be accommodated. Students are able to learn at their own pace when they are at a private school. That is not always possible at public schools.
- They have great extracurricular programs. There are private schools that cater to a number of interests and passions. If your child is really interested in the theatre, they can do to a performing arts school. The same can be said for students who are interested in science, sports, or the arts. The top private schools put a premium on making sure their students have balance in their life. This helps students become more well-rounded people but is also very helpful when it comes to completing applications for college. Academics are important at all private schools around the United States, it is also important to nurture their interests in other things such as sports, music, the arts, and other non-academic activities. These also are good to help students become better communicators and work better with other people. These are skills that they will need to have successful careers.
- You can be confident that the school will not contradict your religious beliefs. Religion is an important part of the lives of many people around the United States. If you are looking for specific religious teaching, you can find a private school to provide that. If you are concerned that your religion will not be respected as much as you want it to be, you can find a private school that will work with you on that front.
At the end of the day, this decision is very personal but the right private school can help your child succeed.