Are you looking for ideas on how to try something different with your family? If so, you’re in the right place! There are so many different activities and hobbies that families can try together, and the benefits of trying something new as a family are numerous. Not only will it bring you closer together and create lasting memories, but it can also help to reduce stress, improve communication, and foster a sense of adventure and curiosity.
Get a Dog
One thing that you and your family might consider to try something different is getting a dog. Not only are dogs great companions, but they also provide endless opportunities for family bonding. Whether you’re training your new furry friend, taking them on long walks, or simply snuggling up on the couch together, a dog can bring joy and laughter to your household. If you’re interested in getting a dog, there are plenty of dog training packages available to help you and your family get off to a good start.
First, you will need to consider what kind of breed you want. If you want to be able to train the dog, it might be easier to get a puppy. If you’re not as picky, try something different and adopt a dog from a local shelter. You may not get to pick the exact breed, but you will almost certainly get a loveable, well-mannered pup.
Start a Collection
Another idea for trying something different with your family is to start a collection. Whether it’s stamps, coins, or something more unique like collecting a German nutcracker, the process of collecting can be a great way to bond with your family and learn about new things. Plus, it gives you something to look forward to and work towards as a team.
Explore the Local Food Scene
If you’re looking for a more hands-on activity, you might consider exploring the local food scene. Food brings people together like nothing else, and trying new restaurants and cuisines is a great way to bond with your family. You can even make it a game by trying to find the best restaurants in your area or by trying to recreate dishes at home.
Start a Craft or Hobby
Another option is to start a craft or hobby together as a family. Sewing, painting, knitting, and other crafts can be a great way to relax and unwind while also creating something special. Plus, there are plenty of sewing supplies and other craft materials available to get you started.
If you know some of the basics, try something different. Consider buying some instant film cameras and documenting your family for an entire year. Then, collect the photos and build a scrapbook.
Podcasting is another activity that your family might enjoy trying together. The process of creating and recording a podcast can be a great way to bond with your family, and there are plenty of online audio mixing tools available to help you get started. Plus, it’s a great way to share your interests and ideas with others.
Think about the types of things your family could talk about in a podcast. While there are a lot of podcasts that talk about topics like family, gaming, or cooking, you can try something different. A podcast could cover local events, a specific era of history, or boardgame reviews with fun commentary from your family.
Become DIY Experts
If you’re looking for something more hands-on, you might consider becoming DIY experts as a family. There are so many different home improvement projects that you can tackle together, whether it’s something simple like painting a room or something more complex like historic building restoration. Not only will you learn new skills, but you’ll also have a sense of accomplishment and pride in your work.
If you really want to try something different, find a local historical society and volunteer for them. They often have a lot of local properties that need maintenance and upkeep. While working on them your family will learn all about home repair, historic home design, and you may even learn about local historic figures that lived in the house.
Check Out Local Art Fairs
If you’re more interested in the arts, you might consider checking out local art fairs as a family. These events are a great way to expose your family to new artists and styles, and you might even find some unique pieces to add to your collection. For example, you might find some beautiful native American framed prints that you can display in your home.
Be sure to keep an eye on your area’s event calendar. Art fairs normally happen in the spring, summer, and fall when the weather is most agreeable. For some art fairs, you may need to buy tickets ahead of time. Art fairs also have a lot of other cool things like local music and food trucks, so you can check out a new type of cuisine and try something different.
Get Into Boating and Fishing
If you’re looking to try something different in the great outdoors, you might consider trying out boating and fishing as a family. Local boat rentals are often available, and there’s nothing quite like spending a day on the water with your loved ones. Plus, you’ll get to enjoy the beauty of nature and perhaps even catch a few fish for dinner.
Luckily you don’t need to own a boat to enjoy fishing. If you live near a large body of water there are plenty of local boat renting services to consider. If they aren’t available you can fish in a more pedestrian-friendly area. Many fishing spots are along creeks and rivers, and some even have off-street parking.
Learn How to Play Instruments
Learning an instrument is another activity that your family might enjoy trying together. Not only is it a great way to bond, but it’s also a fantastic way to develop new skills and express your creativity. There are plenty of instrument lessons available, whether you’re interested in playing the guitar, piano, or something else.
If you’ve never played an instrument before it can be difficult to choose one. A lot of people like guitar and piano because they are so versatile, but don’t be afraid to try something different, like the trombone or the glockenspiel. If you and your family coordinate your instruments, you can even form an amazing band together!
Finally, exercising together as a family is another great way to try something different. It not only brings you together to do something challenging but is great for your health! You could either try individual sports like golf and running, or team sports such as football or volleyball. Make sure to find something that works for everyone in your family, no matter their age or size.
If you really want to take it to the next level and try something different, consider installing sporting equipment at home, like a basketball court, a tennis court, or a swimming pool. If you’re into swimming at home, make sure to use a swimming pool service if necessary to keep it clean and safe to swim in at all times.
A Few More Ideas
Here are more things you can try as a family.
- Visit a museum or art gallery. Museums and art galleries are great places to learn about new things and expose your family to different cultures and perspectives. Many museums and galleries offer special events and activities specifically for families.
- Take a cooking class. Cooking together as a family is a great way to bond and learn new skills. You can find cooking classes in your area that cater to all skill levels, whether you’re a beginner or an experienced chef.
- Go on a road trip. Pack your bags and hit the open road with your family for a fun and memorable adventure. You can plan out your route in advance or just go with the flow and see where the road takes you.
- Take up gardening. Gardening is a great way to get outside and get your hands dirty as a family. You can start a small herb garden or try your hand at growing vegetables. Not only is it a fun activity, but you’ll also have the satisfaction of growing your own food.
- Volunteer together. Giving back to your community is a great way to make a positive impact and teach your children the value of helping others. You can find volunteer opportunities through local organizations or charities.
- Go stargazing. Stargazing is a relaxing and enjoyable activity that you can do as a family. All you need is a clear night sky and a good pair of binoculars. You can even download a stargazing app to help you identify constellations and planets.
- Take a trip to the beach. There’s nothing quite like a day at the beach to relax and have fun as a family. You can build sandcastles, play beach games, and take a dip in the ocean.
- Try birdwatching. Birdwatching is a great way to get outside and observe nature as a family. You can buy a bird identification guide and see how many different species you can spot in your area.
- Learn how to surf. Surfing is a thrilling and challenging sport that can be a lot of fun for the whole family. You can find surf lessons in your area or head to a nearby beach to give it a try.
- Take a trip to a water park. Water parks are a great way to cool off and have fun as a family. You can slide down water slides, float down lazy rivers, and splash around in wave pools.
- Try out a new board game or video game. Board games and video games are a classic way to have fun and spend time together as a family. Whether you’re a fan of strategy games or action games, there’s something for everyone.
- Go on a bike ride. Biking is a great way to get some exercise and explore your local area as a family. You can find bike trails in your area or just take a leisurely ride through your neighborhood.
- Take a painting class. Painting is a fun and creative activity that the whole family can enjoy. You can find painting classes in your area that cater to different skill levels, or you can just set up a canvas and some paints at home and see what you come up with.
- Go on a nature walk. Nature walks are a great way to get some exercise and observe the world around you as a family. You can bring along a bird identification guide or a plant identification book and see what you can discover.
- Go to a movie. Going to a movie is a classic way to spend time together as a family. You can choose from the latest blockbusters or go for a classic film that you’ve always wanted to see.
With these ideas, you should be able to try something different with your family. If you aren’t sure which activity is best for you, try a few of them and then narrow down your options. Whether it’s something creative, or something more adventurous, you can expect to create a lifetime of fond memories.